Friendship beach is a very basic beach with some sand. I can’t be more energetic about it than that. You probably wouldn’t come here for the beach. The allure of the place is that it is conveniently located just north of Rawai, and you have easy access to Promthep Cape and the other awesome beaches around the cape. Phuket Town is not too far away, around 20 minutes through light traffic.
Friendship Beach Clubs
- East 88 Restaurant & Beach Lounge – an amazing view and drinks at the wet bar. Nice little place to enjoy drinks after dinner. Rather expensive. Little else around in the way of beach clubs.
Friendship Beach Restaurants / Bars
- Sottovento Italian Restaurant – good reviews for this Italian restaurant just a minute’s walk from the water at Friendship Beach. Serving Italian (but no pizza?!) and Thai food. Good wine list mentioned by a few customers.
- Hockhoelee – The Original Phuket Coffee Roaster – on the main road (Wiset) running parallel to the beach, this is a coffee shop and espresso bar. Roasted coffee, great desserts, they serve breakfast and the pancakes and waffles are rated highly.
Friendship Beach Accommodations
- Serenity Resort & Residences – a 5-star hotel with easy access to Phuket town from Friendship Beach. Extremely high ratings by previous customers for rooms, staff, and food. Excellent rates for this high-quality experience – around 3,000 THB nightly.
- Friendship Beach Waterfront Resort – a convenient place to stay beachfront on this beach near Rawai and Phuket Town. Rates around 2,000 THB to start for this 3-star hotel. Food prices are exorbitant.
Kamala Beach Facts
- Location in Phuket: Southeast Phuket north of Rawai.
- GPS Data: 7° 48’ 26” N, 98° 20’ 21” E
- Distance to Patong / Phuket Town / Airport in km: 19 / 13 / 44
- Taxis available: No
- Surrounding Beaches: Rawai Beach to the south. Chalong Bay to the north.
- Direction Facing: Southeast
- Beach Length: 212 meters (232 yd.)
- Beach Width: 13 meters (14 yd.)
- Estimated Beach Area: 2’756 m2 (3,296 square yd)
- Beach Quality: Very basic. Good for looking at, not so good for swimming or anything else.
- Ocean Bottom: Sand and mud. Very shallow water.
- Restroom / showers facilities? No, but resorts available – see below.
- Beach features: Basic beach, water quality not great. Shallow and not good for swimming or even wading.
- Lifeguard Available? No
- Sunbeds Available? None
- Umbrellas? None
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? Public, no fees.
- Water quality: Good if high tide
- Boat anchorage possible? Yes, far outside
- Boat dock and marina? N/A
- Longtail boat rental possible? Yes
- Speedboat/longtail boat tours possible? No/No
- Sea inflow:: Unknown
- Slope into sea until 1m deep: 8-15m
- Convenience shop available? Yes
- Attractions: 7 kilometers (4.3 mi.) from Promthep Cape; 3 km. (1.86 mi.) from Rawai Beach; 12.5 km. (7.8 mi.) from Phuket Town.
- Activities: No real beach activities, the water isn’t amazing or really good for even wading, it’s shallow.
- FKK possible? Not permitted, but if empty…
- Massage available? No
- Picnic possible? Yes
- Surfing? No
- Smoking? In November Thailand is cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. In November 2017 in Phuket, Patong Beach is affected. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: Potentially stingrays on the sand underwater.
- Waste runoff into the sea? Unknown
More about Friendship Beach
For more Friendship Beach information check out the Blog: