Probably one of the most unique beach in Phuket is Kalim Beach. While it is not the most beautiful or the best for swimming, it does hold its own certain charm that no other beach on the island offers. As you drive up past Patong Beach, you’ll quickly come to Kalim Beach before you reach Thavorn Beach and Kamala Beach. Kalim Beach is next to the road, and not really ideal, but its proximity to Patong, less than 1 kilometer (.6 mi.) and the fact that there is just a fraction of people here in comparison – it’s a good alternative, and worth having a look. Split in half by a large concrete landing that is mostly empty during the day (save for a few food carts offering snacks and shakes) and surrounded by large boulders, this distinctive side of the beach has it’s own allure. Although by day it does just seem a boring concrete slab, by night it erupts with life, laughter and food. With local food vendors peddling their fare and the small cluster of people dotted along the walkway eating, singing and sharing moments together, it’s easy to see why Kalim Beach is such a popular tourist spot.
To the left is a small but rocky beach that isn’t great for swimming but does offer an ideal setting for snorkeling and tidal pool exploration, especially when the tide is in. The beach area is small but pleasing with it’s white sand and large shady palms; those who are sick of the overly crowded more popular beaches such as Karon or Kata Beach will appreciate the quiet and relaxing atmosphere.
Across the street is a series of moderately priced restaurants offering 3 star dining and a spectacular view out to the neighboring islands; there is also a rather large Family Mart that is open 24 hours and stocked full of all your touristy needs. Excellent sunsets, and cheap food from stands if you want to eat local-style.
Kalim Beach Clubs
Kalim Beach Restaurants / Bars
There are many food stands along the beach in this section, and at sundown you can watch sunset and eat very reasonably priced food like som tam, fried rice with chicken or prawns, or gwit diao soup.
- White Box Restaurant and Bar – incredible food and bar just up the road from the sandy portion of Kalim Beach. Highly recommended since you’re already in the area. Fantastic reviews from past diners here. Don’t miss the Seafood Platter and get there around 6 pm. so you don’t miss sunset!
- Baan Rim Pa Kalim – just over a kilometer (less than a mile) up the highway away from Patong is this highly-rated beachfront restaurant. Awesome views from all tables, and excellent seafood at reasonable prices. Local Thai favorite place to eat.
Kalim Beach Accommodations
- Novotel Phuket Resort – located on Kalim Beach, this is a good economical place to stay with rooms in the 2,300 THB per night range. They have some multiple outdoor pools and a couple of bars on-site. This hotel gets good reviews from past guests.
- The Residence Kalim Bay – a very inexpensive option for staying within walking distance of Kalim Beach and Patong Beach. Large rooms and patios, and great staff make this the best little 1,000 THB per night hotel you’re likely to find in the area. Many places to eat on the walk to the beaches. Great views!
Kalim Beach Facts
- Location in Phuket: Kalim Beach is next to Patong Beach, at the north end of Patong.
- GPS Data: 7° 54’ 47” N, 98° 17’ 38” E
- Distance to Patong / Phuket Town / Airport in km: 2 / 15 / 34
- Taxis available: Yes
- Surrounding Beaches: Patong Beach is south; Thavorn Beach is the next beach going north.
- Direction Facing: Southwest
- Beach Length: 865 meters (1,035 yd.)
- Beach Width: 10 meters (12 yd.)
- Estimated Beach Area: 8’650 m2 (10,345 square yd.)
- Beach Quality: On the south end of the beach, the sand is a bit rough, not the best you’ve ever seen. It gets much worse – rocks and shells the further you go north up Highway 4233.
- Ocean Bottom: Sandy at the south end. Rocky in the north.
- Restroom / showers facilities? No
- Beach features: Nothing
- Lifeguard Available? No
- Sunbeds Available? No
- Umbrellas? No
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? Public, no fees.
- Water quality: Good
- Boat anchorage possible? No
- Boat dock and marina? N/A
- Longtail boat rental possible? No
- Speedboat/longtail boat tours possible? No/No
- Sea inflow:: No
- Slope into sea until 1m deep: 0-40m
- Convenience shop available? Yes
- Attractions: Nothing
- Activities: Surfing during November to April
- FKK possible? Not permitted, but if empty…
- Massage available? No
- Picnic possible? Yes
- Surfing? Yes, it can be very good here. Wave heights at Kalim Beach can reach 3 meters (3 yd.) high with nice right breaking waves (left from the beach). There is a shallow reef at the south end of the beach where the waves build. Long rides are possible – over 100 meters (109 yd.). There are sometimes surf contests held at this beach because the waves are so good from May through October.
- Smoking? In November Thailand is cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. In November 2017 in Phuket, Patong Beach is affected. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: When waves are large, currents can quickly become dangerous.
- Waste runoff into the sea? No
More about Kalim Beach
For more Kalim Beach information check out the Blog: