At just over 700 meters (766 yd.) long, Kata Noi Beach is much smaller than Kata Beach (Kata Yai Beach), but it is even more chilled-out with less people. This is an ideal romantic spot, and for a honeymoon, many travelers choose it as their main vacation spot. Swimming is great here, and there are a number of great resorts on the Kata Noi Beach to choose from if you want to be close to great sunsets and quick dips in the Andaman Sea. The beach is about the same width as others on the west coast – 30 meters (33 yards), and the sand isn’t very soft. The beach is cleaned once a week or so, depending on the season. There is literally nothing else to do in this area except going to the beach, eating, resting and planning your next move for the evening. If this is your ideal description of a holiday? Welcome to Kata Noi Beach! While it is easy to miss if no one told you about this beach, it has the benefit of being only five minutes away from the buzzing Kata Beach strip with all its day and evening culinary offerings. Another option, if you wish to view the sun going down over Kata Noi, is to do so from a string of bars lined up on the road leading to Nai Harn which all have a reputation for serving good food and ice cold beer.
Kata Noi Beach Clubs
Kata Noi Beach Restaurants / Bars
We highly recommend that you go into one of the luxury resorts right on the beach and eat at a restaurant there. We looked at many standalone restaurants at Kata Noi and cannot find one with exceptional ratings.
Kata Noi Beach Accommodations
- Impiana Private Villas Kata Noi – highly rated villas at the north end of Kata Noi with amazing views of the entire beach. Privacy in your own pool at each villa and excellent food and gym, make this a great place to stay. Easy walk to beach. Starting around 12,000 THB each night. Great for a honeymoon hideaway!
- The Shore at Katathani – at the south end of Kata Noi, is this 20,000 THB per night luxury villas property. Again, great for a honeymoon spot. Large infinity pool and first-class service. Super reviews on social media sites.
- Mom Tri’s Villa Royale Hotel – a 5-star resort set right on the rocky shore at the north end of Kata Noi Beach with spectacular views and atmosphere. Swimming pools have the rocky coast incorporated into them, believe it or not. Very good service and this is another place ideal for a honeymoon getaway. Rooms starting at 12,000 THB per night.
- Kata Noi Club Hotel – a budget choice on Kata Noi Beach – and there are few of them. This one gets decent ratings and is a 3-star hotel starting around 2,500 THB nightly. The pool is nice, and you have free use of the tennis courts! Not right on the beach, but minutes away.
Kata Noi Beach Facts
- Location in Phuket: Southwest side. From Patong Beach, take Highway 4233 down through Kata, and veer right at the south end of that beach. Then you will take a small road straight into Kata Noi just past signs for Impiana Private Villas.
- GPS Data: 7° 48’ 23” N, 98° 17’ 56” E
- Distance to Patong / Phuket Town / Airport in km: 12 / 18 / 48
- Taxis available: Yes
- Surrounding Beaches: Kata Yai (Kata big) is to the north. Nui Beach is the next major beach going south.
- Direction Facing: West
- Beach Length: Over 700 meters (766 yd.)
- Beach Width: 33 meters (36 yd.)
- Estimated Beach Area: 22’400 m2 (26,790 square yd)
- Beach Quality: Excellent. Sand is soft, deep, and light brown. You can have a lounge chair on the beach from one of the resorts (if a guest there). Water is fantastic, nice clean waves during one of the many swells from April to October, or, serene calm for swimming and wading if it’s high season.
- Ocean Bottom: Mostly sandy, but some rocks underwater as well.
- Restroom / showers facilities? There are big resorts lining the beach, so if you’re staying at one, you can use their showers and restrooms.
- Beach features: Large enough to accommodate many people, but few come here. Cozy and laid-back. Rocks at the north and south ends.
- Lifeguard Available? No
- Sunbeds Available? At resort
- Umbrellas? At resort
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? Public, no fees.
- Water quality: Good
- Boat anchorage possible? No
- Boat dock and marina? N/A
- Longtail boat rental possible? Yes
- Speedboat/longtail boat tours possible? No/No
- Sea inflow:: No
- Slope into sea until 1m deep: 4-6m
- Convenience shop available? Yes
- Attractions: Just perfect beach with little to distract you.
- Activities: Swimming is good when the waves are calm. Good surfing when the waves pick up. Snorkeling is okay at the south end of the beach – bring your own gear. Bodyboarding and bodysurfing are also possibilities here if you have the gear!
- FKK possible? Not permitted, but if empty…
- Massage available? Yes
- Picnic possible? No
- Surfing? The waves here can reach 2 meters, just like the bigger Kata Yai Beach. The waves break close to the beach and offer short rides. There is a good ‘right’ break that most competent surfers can ride. Waves break most cleanly when tides are mid-to-high. If you need a board or surfing instruction, you can go to Phuket Surf at Kata Yai Beach, mentioned above. If you are coming to surf and you want to save money on lodging, stay at Kata Yai Beach, they have more budget options.
- Smoking? In November Thailand is cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. In November 2017 in Phuket, Patong Beach is affected. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: Undercurrent is bad during high-wave periods. Not safe for children in any kind of waves.
- Waste runoff into the sea? Unknown
More about Kata Noi Beach
For more Kata Noi Beach information check out the Blog: