Khao Kad Beach is the first beach on the west side of Cape Panwa, on Phuket’s east coast. Panwa Beaches, and the entire area is a quiet and secluded oasis away from the noise and traffic of Phuket Town and the highways. A quick drive up to Phuket Town for great shopping, or an easy trip to one of the many islands offshore make this a great location to stay for your vacation in Phuket.
If you’re over at the Phuket Aquarium, you might stop by to see Khao Kad Beach for sunset, or a cold drink. The beach is just a very short drive up Soi Ao Yon Khao khad to reach it.
As you can see in our Khao Kad Beach video, the beach is wide enough to throw down a blanket or beach mat, and the sunsets can be spectacular. There is a Thai massage service in an open-walled building facing the beach.
A small café (green building) serves many varieties of fruit smoothies, coffee, and tea if you’re thirsty or need a pick-me-up. There is a small Halal restaurant on Khao Kad Beach and they have a sign touting availability of mopeds, rooms, and taxi service. There are a few kayaks leaning on the fence to the left, and they can probably be rented if you’re interested. Keep in mind, the mud here is thick. Though not ideal for swimming since at low tide it’s a mudflat, most visitors come to enjoy the tranquility and the fresh seafood and cold drinks served up at the Beach Bar. If you turn up here in the morning, you’ll likely have the beach to yourself.
Not far away is the Tarzan Adventure Phuket zip-lines outfit where you can glide through the trees in harnesses. The tour is about an hour and costs around 3,000 Thai baht per person. Most reviewers thought it was worth it.
Smaller yachts and catamarans can be anchored off-shore in this spot, and you will usually have some company as this is a somewhat popular spot for tourist boats.
Khao Kad Beach Clubs
There are no beach clubs at Khao Kad Beach
Khao Kad Beach Restaurants / Bars
- The Beach Bar – why is it that beach clubs and beach bars always seem to get good reviews? At least in Phuket that’s true! Must be some great places to have a drink. THE Beach Bar is also quite good, and a popular spot for locals and tourists. Come early for dinner and get a table right on the sand for sunset – stunning spot!
Khao Kad Beach Accommodations
- Panwa Boutique Beach Resort – on the west side of the cape. Twenty-five kilometers from Patong Beach, so a bit of a haul to get to the nightlife, but easy access to Phuket Town for shopping and restaurants. Modern amenities and slightly dated rooms. For the price, a great value. Starting around 2,000 THB per night.
- My Beach Resort – also on the west side of Cape Panwa offers great views and a sort of private oasis from the noise of Phuket. Large rooms with connecting family rooms. Good service, and local guides rate this property highly. Rating is 4.5 out of 5-star at Google. Rates starting around 4,000 THB nightly.
Khao Kad Beach Facts
- Location in Phuket:East side of Phuket on the west side of Cape Panwa south of Phuket Town and North of Rawai Beach.
- GPS Data: 7° 49’ 03” N, 98° 23’ 05” E
- Distance to Patong / Phuket Town / Airport in km: 23 / 39 / 40
- Taxis available: Yes
- Surrounding Beaches: Pa Lai Beach is to the north; Ao Yon Yai is to the west.
- Direction Facing: West.
- Beach Length: 1.6 kilometers (1 mi.) There are multiple beaches on Cape Panwa that are labeled “Panwa Beach” on Google maps, so it’s impossible to figure out which, or even if there is one official Panwa Beach. This listing includes only Cape Panwa Beach which faces Koh Lon Island.
- Beach Width: Average around 9 meters (10 yd.)
- Estimated Beach Area: 14’400 square meter (17,222 square yd.)
- Beach Quality: Sand not especially nice, there are shells and rocks mixed with dirt.
- Ocean Bottom: Mostly sand, but not so soft – some rocks and shells.
- Restroom / showers facilities? Available at resorts, but no public facilities.
- Beach features: Khao Kad Beach faces directly west, so is good for sunset.
- Lifeguard Available? No
- Sunbeds Available? No, only at hotels
- Umbrellas? No, only at hotels
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? Public and no fees.
- Water quality: Very Good
- Boat anchorage possible? Yes, there are usually boats anchored off the coast here.
- Boat dock and marina? None
- Longtail boat rental possible? Yes
- Speedboat/longtail boat tours possible? Yes/Yes
- Sea inflow:: Yes
- Slope into sea until 1m deep: 6-8m
- Convenience shop available? Yes
- Attractions: The allure of Khao Kad Beach and the entire cape is that it’s a natural oasis very close to Phuket Town and the noise of Phuket. A great little getaway area with close access to town. Patong Beach is 24 km (15 mi.) away.
- Activities: The beach is big enough to kick a ball around, or throw a disc. There are some blue kayaks on the side of the small restaurant at the south end of the beach that are for rent. Keep in mind, the muddy sand is deep. There is a Thai massage table next to the restaurant.
- FKK possible? Not permitted, but if empty…
- Massage available? Yes
- Picnic possible? Yes
- Surfing? None – wrong side of Phuket Island.
- Smoking? In November Thailand is cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. In November 2017 in Phuket, Patong Beach is affected. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: Some sharp shells and rocks in the sand. Rocks under the water. Stingrays have been seen at beaches all over Khao Kad. They hide under the sand, flipping the tail and stinging with barbs with venom. The pain is similar to jellyfish.
- Waste runoff into the sea? Small amount – south
More about Khao Kad Beach
For more Khao Kad Beach or other Phuket beaches information check out the Blog: