There are two islands close to Phuket’s east coast at Cape Panwa. The larger island is, “Koh Tapao Yai” and the smaller, “Koh Tapao Noi.” There are no real facilities on these islands, and they are not especially beautiful. Visitors to the Koh Tapao Yai Island usually come for a convenient trip from Phuket just to get away for a couple hours on the beach which is not usually crowded at all.
Koh Tapao Yai Beach Clubs, Bars, Restaurants, and Accommodation
None – this is a very small island with little development.
Koh Tapao Yai Beach Facts & Features
- Location in Relation to Phuket: The island is about 1,500 ft. (457 m) east of the Cape Panwa Pier to the immediate south of Cape Panwa Beach on Phuket’s east coast.
- GPS Data: 07° 49` 50” N, 98° 24` 51” E
- Surrounding Beaches: In addition to Koh Tapao Yai Beach on the northeast side of the island, is a beach on the southeastern coast and a small (probably private) beach on the northwest coast.
- Direction Facing: The main beach faces north.
- Beach Length: 488 meters (1,600 ft.)
- Beach Width: 4.6 meter (15 ft.) on average.
- Estimated Beach Area: 24,000 m2 (24,000 square ft.)
- Beach Quality: Poor, a lot of mud mixed with the sand. Beach is very small (thin).
- Ocean Bottom: Rocks scattered about.
- Restroom / showers facilities? None.
- Beach features: None really. the beaches amount to not much more than just patches of dirty sand. Not very scenic. Not worth a stop.
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? Appears to be public without fees.
- Lifeguard Available? No.
- Boat anchorage possible? No.
- Boat dock and marina? Small dock.
- How to reach Koh Tapao Yai Island? From Ao Makham Pier by longtail boat.
- Attractions: None.
- Activities: None.
- Surfing? No.
- Sunbeds Available? No.
- Umbrellas? No.
- Water quality: Very Good.
- Convenience shop available? No.
- Massage available? No.
- Picnic possible? Yes, however please don’t leave your rubbish behind.
- Smoking? Thailand authorities are cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: Many rocks and very few people. No real reason to stop here.
More about Phuket Beaches
check out the Blog: