Layan Beach is also known as Le Phang Beach by locals and on some maps. Though not clearly marked on maps, Layan Beach appears to connect to the northernmost section of Bangtao Beach on Phuket’s Northwest side. There is a break where a freshwater lake runoff flows, then another section of beach in front of the Anantara Layan Phuket Resort. It’s like a tiny bay formed on one side by the rocky hill, and the other by a small island and sandbar. The main break is next to the hill.This is a very picturesque area that is usually only occupied by guests at the resorts nearby. If you like to explore new grounds, Koh Kala, giving Layan beach shelter, is a small island just a few meters off the mainland and is in part responsible for the calm and tranquil environment. You can also rent kayaks and circumnavigate the island.
Layan Beach Clubs
- Dream Beach Club – really great reviews for this club which plays house and down-tempo beat music for the most part, but it can vary a bit. Great drinks, food, location, music, service, and people. Most reviewers report having a nice night out here and are fond of returning.
Layan Beach Restaurants / Bars
- Anantara Beach Restaurant – if you’re staying at the Anantara Resort, or even if you’re not, you can eat dinner at this amazing beachfront restaurant with tables over the sand. Wednesdays they have a fire-show from 6-7:30 at dinner. Food is exceptional and expensive.
- Paul Restaurant – located about 1.6 kilometers (1 mile) south from Dream Beach Club, this restaurant is on the beach and has a chill atmosphere and selection of Thai and seafood. The atmosphere is basic and functional without going overboard on aesthetics. Not the place for your honeymoon, but if you just want a beach restaurant with great food and smiles – try Paul’s.
Layan Beach Accommodations
- Anantara Resort Phuket Beach – a 5-star resort with its own beach and located remotely away from other resorts and shopping. Some complain it’s too remote. Careful what you ask for!
Layan Beach Facts
- Location in Phuket: Northwest side near top of Phuket Island
- GPS Data: 8° 01’ 51” N, 98° 17’ 11” E
- Distance to Patong / Phuket Town / Airport in km: 23 / 28 / 14
- Taxis available: No
- Surrounding Beaches: Banana Beach is less than 1 km. (.6 m.) to the north. To the south is Bang Tao Beach (aka Laguna Beach)
- Direction Facing: Southwest
- Beach Length: Section 1 – 695 meters (760 yd.) and Section 2 – by the Anantara Resort, 446 m. (488 yd.)
- Beach Width: 42 meters (66 yd.)
- Estimated Beach Area: 47’922 m2 (57,314 square yd)
- Beach Quality: The sand is nice and usually clean. There are beach chairs and umbrellas, and the water can be calm and glassy – ideal for kids to play in.
- Ocean Bottom: Sandy, generally OK for wading.
- Restroom / showers facilities?Of course, the Anantara Resort has showers and restrooms for their guests. If you’re dining or drinking at the beach club, you can also use their restrooms.
- Beach features: Excellent Beach Club! Glassy water and relaxing mood. Great for kids, and many families do stay at the resorts around Bangtao and Layan beaches.
- Lifeguard Available? No
- Sunbeds Available? At most of the resorts on the beach, there are beach lounge chairs available, and umbrellas if you need one.
- Umbrellas? Yes, usually at resorts and restaurants on the beach.
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? Public, no fees.
- Water quality: Very Good
- Boat anchorage possible? Yes, private boats can anchor near the small island.
- Boat dock and marina? N/A
- Longtail boat rental possible? Yes
- Speedboat/longtail boat tours possible? No/No
- Sea inflow:: Yes
- Slope into sea until 1m deep: 4-5m
- Convenience shop available? No
- Attractions: Kala Island; Dream Beach Club
- Activities: Lounging, swimming, surfing, kids can play in the sand and water.
- FKK possible? Not permitted, but if empty…
- Massage available? Yes
- Picnic possible? Yes
- Surfing? Yes, there is surfing here during the tourist low-season and the waves can get quite big.
- Smoking? In November Thailand is cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. In November 2017 in Phuket, Patong Beach is affected. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: When waves are big, there are strong currents that can pull you out to sea. Keep a close eye on children playing near the water.
- Waste runoff into the sea? No
More about Layan Beach
For more Layan Beach information check out the Blog: