Nai Thon Beach is ideally located on the northwestern coast of Phuket Island and is only a short five minutes drive from the Bismarcks Paradise. Sparsely developed and surrounded by 300 meters high hills covered with a luxuriant jungle, the Nai Thon beach is one of the most peaceful and relaxing beach in Phuket. It happens to be our house beach and is the first beach south of Nai Yang Beach, which is another beach easily accessible and located nearby the Bismarcks Paradise. All in all, Nai Thon Beach is a very pleasant beach for those who wish to spend a serene tropical holiday in Phuket!
Nai Thon Beach Clubs
No beach clubs here but check out Layan Beach and look for Dream Beach Club (former NIKI Beach Club), it’s about seven minutes away from Nai Thon Beach.
Nai Thon Beach Restaurants / Bars
- Macarona Italian Restaurant – on the south end of Nai Thon Beach, across the street from the beach is this little pizzeria that is rated highly. Pizza, pasta, Italian vegetable soup, meat and seafood dishes and tasty deserts are available.
- No. 24 Bar & Restaurant – large area of outdoor seating under tents on the beach road, this is a great little restaurant to go after a day at Nai Thon Beach. Thai and western food available. Reviewers give this restaurant great marks for alcohol selection and quality mixed drinks. Open long hours – 10 am. to 11 pm.
- Tycoon Ting – at the north end of Nai Thon Beach – a clean, open-air restaurant with a view of the beach for sunset. This is a highly modern restaurant and bar that is recommended for the experience if you’re looking for something nice and not grunge beach style.
Nai Thon Beach Accommodations
- Bismarck’s Paradise Luxury Villas – about 9 minutes away up Highway 4018 is this lovely estate consisting of private luxury villas set on a mountain between Nai Thon and Nai Yang beaches. Visit to enjoy the genuine Thai hospitality and highest levels of guest-centered service found on Phuket Island. All units are updated yearly and unlike anything you’ve seen on the island before. Try it!
- Pullman Phuket Arcadia Naithon Beach – at the northernmost end of Nai Thon Beach is this luxury accommodation with rooms and villas available with views of the beach. Resort is on a hill over the beach and has shuttle buses to the beach often. Rooms starting around 5,000 Thai Baht.
Nai Thon Beach Facts
- Location in Phuket: Northwest Phuket about 5.5 km (3.4 mi.) southwest of Phuket International Airport (HKT) and just a short distance from Nai Yang Beach.
- GPS Data: 8° 03’ 32” N, 98° 16’ 38” E
- Distance to Patong / Phuket Town / Airport in km: 28 / 33 / 8
- Taxis available: Yes
- Surrounding Beaches: Nai Yang Beach to the north and Nai Thon Noi Beach is south.
- Direction Facing: West
- Beach Length: 900 meters (6 mi.)
- Beach Width: 40 meters (44 yd.)
- Estimated Beach Area: 40’100 m2 (47’840 square yd2)
- Beach Quality: Quiet, uncrowded, peaceful beach with sometimes more trash than other beaches. Nice sand and a good place to hang out for a day. Gradually sloping, so shallow for children and pretty ideal.
- Ocean Bottom: Sand with some rocks at southern end and northern end. Rocks and reef are easy to see when water is clear, but when unclear it’s easy to step on them.
- Restroom / showers facilities? No, but you may use the restaurants restrooms (you may have to order a beverage or without you may have to pay a small fee)
- Beach features: Rocky area at both ends. Beautiful beach, many say is the best-looking beach in Phuket. Soft, deep sand, and west-facing for great sunsets.
- Lifeguard Available? Yes
- Sunbeds Available? No
- Umbrellas? No
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? Public, no fees.
- Water quality: Very Good
- Boat anchorage possible? Yes
- Boat dock and marina? N/A
- Longtail boat rental possible? Yes
- Speedboat/longtail boat tours possible? No/No
- Sea inflow:: Yes
- Slope into sea until 1m deep: 4-8m
- Convenience shop available? Yes
- Attractions: Elephant Jungle Sanctuary Phuket – just 760 meters (2,500 ft.) inland.
- Activities: Swimming, bodyboarding, surfing, some snorkeling, and just generally relaxing until you fall asleep are the main activities at this picture-perfect beach. Restaurants close to the beach, massage, bodyboards for rent on the beach.
- FKK possible? Not permitted, but if empty…
- Massage available? Yes
- Picnic possible? Yes
- Surfing? Yes, during the May to November months the waves can be excellent at this and surrounding beaches. Nai Thon Beach is beautiful, and a bit secluded, isolated from other areas. There are rocky spots on the north and south ends of the beach, and scattered rocks and reef under the water. Rip-tide can be bad here during big swells, just one of the hazards when you surf Phuket beaches. Big waves are possible here, and at most beaches facing west. The waves can build nicely in all tide conditions. Do be careful with children, as the rip-tide is strong with larger waves. In Cherng Thale is the Saltwater Dreaming Surf Shop for lessons or rental boards while you’re at Nai Thon Beach. For more information where to surf in Phuket check out the following blog post: 17 Best Phuket Surfing Beaches
- Smoking? In November Thailand is cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. In November 2017 in Phuket, Patong Beach is affected. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: High waves possible, and rip-currents are strong during big waves. Watch for lifeguard flags and ask what they mean if unsure.
- Waste runoff into the sea? No
How to Reach Nai Thon Beach?
Nai Thon Beach isn’t too difficult to reach from anywhere on the island. Start as if you are going to leave Phuket Island and travel to Phang Nga. From Patong Beach, just head north on Beach Road (Hwy 4233) until it connects to Hwy 4030. In about 2.2 km (1.4 miles) you’ll make a left (west) to travel on Hwy 4018. This leads right into Nai Thon Beach.
From Phuket Town, you’ll start by going north on Hwy 402, then west on 4025, then north on Hwy 4030, and finally west on Hwy 4018.
More about Nai Thon Beach
For more Nai Thon Beach information check out the Phuket Beach Blog: