Pon Beach, or Yae Beach as locals know it, is a 500 meters (547 yards) long beach facing almost due south. Because of the hill to the west, sunset won’t be the best, as you won’t likely see its last moments above the horizon.
Pon beach is not typically available unless you’re staying at the resort (The NAKA) which occupies the entire beach, but if you’re on a motorbike or bicycle and want to give it a try, here’s how you can try. Drive north past Patong Beach on Kamala-Patong Road (Hwy 4233). In about 4 km. (2.5 miles) you’ll come up to the Thavorn Beach Village Resort & Spa. Make a left and travel down a paved road for 150 meters (164 yards). Then you will make another left and follow until it reaches a dirt trail. From there, it’s a 100-meter (109 yard) walk to the beach. There is no parking, and the resort might tell you that motorbike and vehicle parking is not available. You’re out of luck then because Yae beach is not accessible by boat due to the shallow coral reef during high or low tides.
Pon beach is certainly not one of Phuket’s nicest beaches, so unless you’re staying at this resort, there’s no real reason to go to see it. The water is shallow and usually clean, and the sand is deep. There are some shade trees in the middle of the beach. If you’re staying nearby, there are other amazing beaches like Surin Beach, Banana Beach, or one of the other dozens of beautiful beaches on the island that are easier to access.
Note, during western swells, the Pon beach here will have very strong rip currents which can pull people out to sea. Do be cautious as the waves pick up in size.
Pon Beach | Yae Beach Clubs
There is no beach club at Pon Beach
Pon Beach | Yae Beach Restaurants / Bars
- Nana Beach Bar – there is a beautifully designed bar at the east end of Pon Beach where you can eat and look out over the Andaman Sea. The breakfast was noted as especially worth it by guests at this restaurant/bar.
- Wiwa – this is a beautiful looking restaurant and part of The Naka resort. There are very few reviews, so we cannot review the quality of the food. Some guests staying at The Naka mentioned the food wasn’t especially good. We cannot verify that, as we’ve not eaten here yet.
Pon Beach | Yae Beach Accommodations
Because Pon Beach is quite small, there is only one resort here which takes up all the land behind the beach.
- The Naka – this is a 96-villa resort set on and behind the beach on sprawling grounds. Each villa has a swimming pool. Very serene, this is an ideal spot to take a spouse or love interest. You can get around by requesting the golf cart to take you down to the restaurant, beach, or front office. The resort gets fantastic reviews, and you’ll love the design of the place. A night at The Naka will run you around 12,000 THB.
Pon Beach | Yae Beach Facts
- Location in Phuket: Pon Beach is located at the north of Kamala Bay.
- GPS Data: 7° 55’ 32” N, 98° 16’ 02” E
- Distance to Patong / Phuket Town / Airport in km: 8 / 20 / 30
- Taxis available: Yes
- Surrounding Beaches: Naka Lai Beach is adjacent to Pon Beach going east. Hua Beach is the next beach going north.
- Direction Facing: South
- Beach Length: 200 meters (219 yd.)
- Beach Width: 22 meters (24 yd.)
- Estimated Beach Area: 4’400 square meter (5,262 square yd.)
- Beach Quality: Nice quality sand without rocks on the beach except at both ends.
- Ocean Bottom: Many submerged rocks present a hazard. Wading is possible where the water is shallow, and you can see the rocks below.
- Restroom / showers facilities? We didn’t notice any showers or restroom for the public. However, The Naka Phuket is a 96-villa resort just behind the beach where you could use the facilities if you were a guest of their villas.
- Beach features: Rocks at both ends of the beach. Wide sand and great for relaxing.
- Lifeguard Available? No
- Sunbeds Available? Not on the beach, but up at the Nana Beach Bar they have lounge chairs.
- Umbrellas? No
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? Public, no fees.
- Water quality: Very Good
- Boat anchorage possible? No, too many rocks in the bay.
- Boat dock and marina? N/A
- Longtail boat rental possible? No
- Speedboat/longtail boat tours possible? No/No
- Sea inflow:: Unknown
- Slope into sea until 1m deep: Unknown
- Convenience shop available? No
- Attractions: There are no real attractions at this small beach, but it is in the same big bay as Patong Beach, which is only a short drive away. There are plenty of attractions there!
- Activities: Snorkeling can be good at either end of Pon Beach. There are also rocks in the center of the bay as well. Swimming and wading is limited to the shallows where you can see the submerged rocks. Sea kayak rentals are available by the Nana Beach Bar.
- FKK possible? Not permitted, but if empty…
- Massage available? No
- Picnic possible? No
- Surfing? Not good for surfing.
- Smoking? In November Thailand is cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. In November 2017 in Phuket, Patong Beach is affected. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: Submerged rocks can be dangerous. During high waves, the rip current can be strong.
- Waste runoff into the sea? Unknown
More about Pon Beach | Yae Beach
For more Pon Beach | Yae Beach or other Phuket beaches information check out the Blog: