Relax Beach is more widely known as Karon Noi Beach (little Karon Beach) on the Phuket Island maps and is about 350 meters (383 yards) long, and extra wide at 50+ meters (55 yards) in some places. The sand is deep and very light, and it’s one of the most scenic spots in Phuket.
The land behind the Relax Beach is owned by the Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, and they are not known to be accommodating to people wanting to pass through to the beach. They haven’t provided any beach access from the road, so you’ll need to either stay there as a guest or arrive by boat. There is a way to sneak in down the hill on the west side of the Le Meridien Resort, but it’s a 300-meter (328 yards) trek down a steep hill and most locals don’t bother because there are plenty of other beaches to surf at around the area if the waves are nice.
This is one of the best surfing beaches on the island, so if you’re a surfer – maybe the best idea is to book a room here and have the entire bay mostly to yourself?
Relax Beach Clubs
None, however there are pool bars and other F&B outlets at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort.
Relax Beach Restaurants / Bars
The Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort described below has some excellent restaurants but there are no other private restaurants in the area.
Relax Beach Accommodations
- Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort – there is only one resort at Relax Beach, and it’s a beautiful one. The Le Meridien gets high ratings for rooms, service, and food. The location is excellent – with guests of each room enjoying a gorgeous view. There are many dining tables on the beach, and the views for sunset are unbeatable year-round. The resort has huge swimming pools, a lap pool, large gym, and tennis courts. Rates start at around 6,000 THB per night.
Relax Beach Facts
- Location in Phuket: In a deep bay, just south of Patong Beach and north of Karon Beach.
- GPS Data: 7° 48’ 32” N, 98° 17’ 56” E
- Distance to Patong / Phuket Town / Airport in km: 13 / 18 / 48
- Taxis available: Yes
- Surrounding Beaches: Karon Beach is to the south; Freedom Beach is to the North.
- Direction Facing: Southwest
- Beach Length: 318 meters (348 yd.)
- Beach Width: 45 meters (49 yd.)
- Estimated Beach Area: 14’310 m2 (17,115 square yd.)
- Beach Quality: Beautiful! Deep white sand with few rocks or hard shells.
- Ocean Bottom: Soft sand with shells. Rocks on either end.
- Restroom / showers facilities? No public facilities, the hotel has both for guests.
- Beach features: Secluded, deep cove with beautiful view and soft sand. Hills surround the beach and give it that secluded feel – except for the massive resort behind the beach.
- Lifeguard Available? No
- Sunbeds Available? Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort has sunbeds available for guests. There isn’t anyone else offering chairs or umbrellas.
- Umbrellas? Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort has umbrellas available for guests.
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? Technically, Relax Beach is by law, public, but you cannot reach the beach from the road, you’ll need to either stay at the resort as a guest, or come by boat.
- Water quality: Very Good
- Boat anchorage possible? No
- Boat dock and marina? N/A
- Longtail boat rental possible? Yes
- Speedboat/longtail boat tours possible? No/No
- Sea inflow:: Yes
- Slope into sea until 1m deep: 4-8m
- Convenience shop available? Not at the beach, but behind the resort.
- Attractions: Just this picture-perfect little beach. Nothing around that might be called an attraction.
- Activities: Surfing, snorkeling and sunbathing are the main activities at this picture-perfect beach.
- FKK possible? Not permitted, but if empty…
- Massage available? Yes
- Picnic possible? Yes
- Surfing? Yes, there is surfing all up and down the west coast of Phuket. Waves are good for surfing around mid-tide and up to 2 meters high. If you book at the Le Meridien hotel, you may have the bay to yourself for much of the morning – or even the entire day.
- Smoking? In November Thailand is cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. In November 2017 in Phuket, Patong Beach is affected. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: With high waves comes strong undercurrent which can pull you away from the shore. Be careful at all west coast beaches when waves are high.
- Waste runoff into the sea? No
More about Relax Beach
For more Relax Beach information check out the Blog: