Certainly, one of the nicest beaches in Thailand and definitely one of our top 5 beaches on Phuket Island is Surin Beach ! Surin beach is located just up the road, so to speak, from Patong Beach, going north. In the early 2000’s Surin Beach was a top locals and long-time repeat visitor favorite. The beach is long, and the sand is deep. The water is usually clean and clear, with a ripple of waves. The atmosphere is always relaxed and there is plenty of room for visitors, it’s never crowded, and the food is always delicious.
In the past, there were food shacks just up under the trees – many of them. The military recently decided to reclaim all beach land – and knocked down all illegal structures, not only here but at all Thailand’s beaches. In a way, it was disappointing to see them go. Overall, it opens up the space here at Surin and there are still good places to eat from street food vendors who come and go each day. There is still a focus on the natural beauty of the beach, shady trees, and islands offshore. Perfect!
Surin Beach Clubs
There are currently no beach clubs here, but the place could sure use one! With close proximity to Patong Beach’s population, a club at this beach would be a hit. The land here is public property (government owned), so building any permanent structures is prohibited at this time.
Surin Beach Restaurants / Bars
- Street Side Vendors – all the permanent structures that were on the beach for years have been taken down by the military recently. Restaurants had been encroaching on the land. Don’t worry, today there are plenty of temporary vendors who show up daily to sell fresh fruit, fruit smoothies, alcoholic drinks, breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks of all kinds. Some places will serve you at your beach mat. Food is good and fresh because there is a high-turnaround. There are nine restaurants – three on the south end of the beach and six on the north end.
- Patcharin Seafood – not sure how they did it, but this restaurant is the only structure on Surin Beach. Sure, it looks like it was put up in a day. The building and interior is nothing to get excited about, but it’s right on the beach and the food gets decent ratings by diners. Outdoor and indoor seating. Good prices surprised a lot of reviewers. Fresh fish and other seafood is the focus at Patcharin.
- Phuket Seafood by the Sea – at the very southernmost part of Surin Beach, on the hill overlooking the beach is this lovely restaurant which is part of the Surin Beach Resort. Modern interior with indoor and outdoor seating. Few reviews at this time, but the view is stunning, and the location is excellent. Give it a try and let us know what you think. Curiously, the Thai food is on the expensive side, with Pad Thai at 220 THB for instance. But Italian food and burgers are priced reasonably.
Surin Beach Accommodations
- Novotel Phuket Surin Beach Resort – 230 meters (252 yd.) inland from the beach near Soi Hat Surin 8, this Novotel resort is ultra-modern and updated. Super-clean and high ratings for service and restaurants on the property. Kids will enjoy the long, curving pool slides and kids’ activities. This resort is pretty ideal for kids, and many families stay here. Parents will enjoy the attention to detail, bars, and great restaurants. A typical night’s stay during high season starts around 4,000 THB.
- Twinpalms Phuket Resort – a large resort and set back a couple hundred meters from the ocean, like the Novotel Phuket detailed above. Guests enjoyed the large rooms, beds, and bathrooms and raved about the service. The Twinpalms Phuket received fantastic ratings from past guests. Rooms start at around 8,000 THB per night. Highly recommended.
- Surin Beach Resort – visible from the beach and the only resort right on the beach (above the beach). Long infinity pool and bar/restaurant on-site. Rooms appear small but nice and are a real bargain beginning at 3,000 THB per night considering the excellent location.
Surin Beach Facts
- Location in Phuket: On the west side of Phuket Island, past Patong and Kamala Beach, you’ll come to Surin Beach
- GPS Data: 7° 58’ 32” N, 98° 16’ 42” E
- Distance to Patong / Phuket Town / Airport in km: 13 / 26 / 23
- Taxis available: Yes
- Surrounding Beaches: Laem Singh Beach is to the south; Pansea Beach is to the north.
- Direction Facing: West
- Beach Length: 800 meters (875 yd.)
- Beach Width: 40 meters (44 yd.)
- Estimated Beach Area: 32’000 m2 (38,272 square yd)
- Beach Quality: Nice soft, deep, and light-colored golden sand. Sand is free of rocks and trash for the most part. By the sea, there can be a shallow drop-off. For the most part, the sand is gently sloping and ideal for throwing Frisbee, jogging, or laying out for a tan. Turquoise water with small waves, ideal for children during high-season (low-wave season).
- Ocean Bottom: Sandy and perfect for wading, swimming, bodyboarding, bodysurfing, surfing.
- Restroom / showers facilities? Yes, both – showers for 20 THB.
- Beach features: A large parking lot makes coming to Surin Beach convenient.
- Lifeguard Available? Yes
- Sunbeds Available? No, but beach mats are available with umbrellas.
- Umbrellas? Yes, available to rent at some spots along the beach.
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? Public, no fees.
- Water quality: Very Good
- Boat anchorage possible? Private boats can anchor here.
- Boat dock and marina? N/A
- Longtail boat rental possible? Yes
- Speedboat/longtail boat tours possible? No/No
- Sea inflow:: Yes
- Slope into sea until 1m deep: 6-8 meters
- Convenience shop available? Yes
- Attractions: Surin Beach is an attraction of its own. You should make plans to see it while in Phuket – nobody should miss it!
- Activities: There is a beach volleyball net set up for pick-up games. Longtail boats await to take you to Laem Singh beach, not far away. Massage is offered right on the beach. There are shops selling various items like swimming suits and floats for children.
- FKK possible? Not permitted, but if empty…
- Massage available? Yes
- Picnic possible? Yes
- Surfing? Yes! Surin Beach is one of the best for surfing on Phuket when the waves start breaking. You’ll find dozens of people come for the waves when the swells start usually between the months of April and October or so. The waves are usually biggest during the early or late part of the low-season. Keep that in mind if you’re planning on coming to Surin for the waves. The soft sandy bottom is ideal for surfers. The breaks are not very long, there is no reef to start the break, but still it’s ideal because there is so much space to surf and the consistency can be great.
- Smoking? In November Thailand is cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. In November 2017 in Phuket, Patong Beach is affected. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: When waves are present, Surin Beach can have a strong undertow which can pull out adults and children into the deeper water. When waves are present, close supervision of children is required.
- Waste runoff into the sea? No
More about Surin Beach
For more Surin Beach information check out the Blog: