Tri Trang Beach 2, which is also known by tree other names: Merlin Beach, Tri Tra Beach or Little Tiger Beach, is a small beach 5 km from the centre of the famous buzzing Patong Beach. If you come straight back off Tri Trang Beach near Patong, across Muen Ngern Road, you’ll see the large Marriott Hotel complex. This is the location of what appears to be a private oasis. Tri Trang Beach 2 is small compared to most beaches on Phuket, it is only about 160 meters long and not so wide, around 10 meters on average.
The beach itself is nothing so special, the sand is full of large shells and rocks and the ocean has some submerged rocks and coral. There is a large coral reef at the entrance to the bay which could entice snorkelers to go have a look. There are rocks at both ends of Tri Trang Beach 2 as well.
The Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa at Tri Trang Beach 2 is an exclusive 5-star resort with hundreds of positive reviews from their guests over the years. They have three massive swimming pools and a kids pool, wet bars, and restaurants which get good reviews. The location isn’t bad, but you won’t be walking to anything close by, it’s a bit secluded and Patong Beach shopping is 5-10 minutes away by tuk-tuk or your rental vehicle. Or you could opt for taking a longtail boat from the beach to Freedom Beach for 1,000 THB.
Complimentary morning buses into Patong Beach and return, were mentioned by a number of guests in their reviews. Many weddings are held here, and nearly everyone seems very satisfied with the friendliness and professionalism of staff at this hotel…
Tri Trang Beach 2 Clubs
No beach clubs at this beach, just the Marriott complex and the restaurant at the east end of the beach.
Tri Trang Beach 2 | Beach Restaurants / Bars
- Little Tiger Restaurant – on the hill above the east end of Tri Trang Beach 2 is this little restaurant you can reach by following the path from the beach up the hill. Some of the guests staying at the Marriott strongly recommended eating at least some of your meals at this more affordable restaurant because the Thai food was above par.
Tri Trang Beach 2 Accommodations
- Marriott Hotel – occupying the entire Tri Trang Beach 2 is the Marriott complex. More than just a nice resort, there are lots of things to do on the property. Tennis, fitness classes, a small playground for kids, and a couple of massive swimming pools that are geared toward children.
There are a number of restaurants at the Marriott, and one activity that was highly recommended is having BBQ at the beach bistro. Reviews of food, staff, and rooms were overwhelmingly positive, you will likely enjoy your stay whether single, couple, or family with children.
Rates vary a bit, starting from around 4,000 THB per night.
Tri Trang Beach 2 Facts
- Location in Phuket: South of Patong and Tri Trang beaches on the west side of Phuket Island.
- GPS Data: 7° 52’ 57” N, 98° 16’ 18” E
- Distance to Patong / Phuket Town / Airport in km: 6 / 20 / 45
- Taxis available: Yes
- Surrounding Beaches: Freedom Beach is to the south; Paradise Beach is the next beach going north.
- Direction Facing: South-southwest
- Beach Length: 173 meters (189 yd.)
- Beach Width: 28 meters (31 yd.)
- Estimated Beach Area: 4’844 m2 (5,793 square yd.)
- Beach Quality: Exceptionally nice soft sand and free of rocks and hard shells.
- Ocean Bottom: In the shallow water it is relatively free of rocks, but the bay here is mostly covered with coral and rocks.
- Restroom / showers facilities? None
- Beach features: This is a wide, picturesque beach nestled between hills. The water is very clear when no storms around, and the beach is mostly blocked from large waves in the off-season by the hill to the west.
- Lifeguard Available? No
- Sunbeds Available? At the Marriott, yes.
- Umbrellas? At the Marriott, yes.
- Public or Private? Entrance fees? Public, no fees, but no real access from the roads. Come by longtail boat unless you’re staying at the Marriott Hotel.
- Water quality: Very Good
- Boat anchorage possible? No
- Boat dock and marina? N/A
- Longtail boat rental possible? Yes
- Speedboat/longtail boat tours possible? No/No
- Sea inflow:: Yes
- Slope into sea until 1m deep: None, just stones
- Convenience shop available? No
- Attractions: There seems to be a butterfly sanctuary on the Google map, that could be part of the Marriott complex, but it doesn’t state specifically. If you find something out about this place, let us know, we’d love to see it too.
- Activities: During a high tide you may be able to snorkel, but the water is very shallow and there’s always the risk of scraping yourself against the reef or rocks. The Marriott doesn’t rent out kayaks or paddleboards at Tri Tra. There are some incredible swimming pools at the Marriott if you do stay there, as well as tennis and fitness classes.
- FKK possible? Not permitted, but if empty…
- Massage available? Yes
- Picnic possible? No
- Surfing? Tri Trang Beach 2 is blocked from waves by a hill, and to add to that, the beach faces south-southwest, so it doesn’t pick up the good waves. Other west coast beaches on Phuket can have nice waves between April and November each year.
- Smoking? In November Thailand is cracking down on smoking at beaches around the country. In November 2017 in Phuket, Patong Beach is affected. Soon they expect to make it a country-wide smoking ban – so do stay up to date because fines are high and can include prison time.
- Warnings: Though Tri Trang Beach 2 is not a west-facing beach, the potential exists for waves to wrap around the point and cause bad currents. Do be careful.
- Waste runoff into the sea? No
More about Tri Trang Beach 2
For more Tri Trang Beach 2 or other Phuket beaches information check out the Blog: